When you finish a workout, your body is craving nutrients. Specifically, it is craving carbohydrates and protein which are the main drivers of muscle growth for your body. Additionally, updated research is showing fat is actually beneficial after a workout because it increases the absorption of each nutrient. These protein energy bites are a simple way to get all three macro nutrients in a travel-friendly, bite size nugget. Chomp down a couple after your next workout to capitalize on your hard work.
Protein Energy Bites | Ingredients
This recipe only calls for five ingredients, but feel free to add some extra flavors if you’d like. You could add things such as different nuts and seeds, coconut to the outside, or even some pretzels for a sweet and savory note.
- 1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter (be sure this is all natural – should have just two ingredients: peanuts and salt)
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Nibs (these are chocolate in its truest, and healthiest, form)
- 1 1/4 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 Cup Ground Flax Seeds (make sure these are ground. Do not put them in whole!)
- 3 Tablespoons Honey + small pinch of salt
Protein Energy Bites | Instructions
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients to make a uniform mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir the honey and peanut butter together until completely mixed. Add the honey and peanut butter mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir with a spatula sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Once well combined, roll into golf ball sized portions, and put in a single layer on a large tray.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, and then store in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to eat!