Memorial Day may be all about barbecuing with your family and friends, but that doesn’t mean you have to kick fruits and vegetables out of your celebration. These Memorial Day fruit skewers go full-on patriotic with a red, white, and blue theme and easily travel to an outside get together. Plus, the skewer acts as an easy judge for portion sizes while also keeping the kids from being TOO messy with their food. What’s not to love?
Memorial day fruit skewers | Ingredients & steps
serves 8-12 people
- 2 lbs. Fresh Strawberries
- 1 Pint Fresh Blueberries
- 12 Medium-Large Bananas (be sure they are ripe – very little to no green showing)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 12 Medium Wooden Skewers, or 8 Large
- Wash all of your berries thoroughly, and then either spin in a salad spinner to dry, or lay out on paper towels. Allow to dry completely.
- Cut the tops off of the strawberries, and the halve length-wise.
- Peel and slice the bananas into 1/2-1 inch pieces. Do not go too skinny, as they will fall off of the skewers.
- Put all fruit into a large bowl and toss with the lemon juice. The lemon will give the fruit an extra fresh taste, and will also help slow oxidation which can turn the bananas brown.
- To assemble, simply skewer the food! Order doesn’t matter, but we’re partial to the bottom half being all strawberries and bananas, and the top half being blueberries…because it looks somewhat like the US flag!