This week we’ve talked a lot about what it means to keep your commitments – both to other people as well as yourself. Part of keeping those commitments to yourself includes setting yourself up for success. Where many of you fall into trouble when it comes to nutrition is not being prepared with a delicious, healthy meal option when you’re busy. This Instant Pot carnitas recipe is here to solve that exact challenge.
Carnitas hail from Mexico, and are often served in tacos with very few additions – some fresh cilantro, onion, and maybe a drizzle of spicy sauce. They also usually take hours upon hours to make and get correct. Pork shoulder takes a long time to break down and become able to be shredded. We can solve this problem with Instant Pot carnitas, because the pressure cooker cooks the pork to a shreddable state in just over an hour.
Top a chopped vegetable salad, toss inside or tortillas, or eat alongside rice and beans for a heartier meal – any way you serve these, they’ll be delicious.
Instant Pot Carnitas
We’ve gone with pork shoulder here, but if you’re looking for a leaner option, pork loin or pork tenderloin both work well. They won’t have quite the same texture, but they will also cook quicker. You can make the call, and we recommend trying with all of them to see what you like best!
INSTant pot carnitas | ingredients
- 3-4 Pounds Pork Shoulder, trimmed and cut into large chunks
- 2 T Mexican or traditional Oregano
- 2 T Cumin Powder
- 1 T Garlic Powder
- 1 T Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- The juice of 2 Oranges
- The juice of 1 Lime
- 1 C Water
Instant pot carnitas | steps
- Set your Instant Pot to the browning function.
- As the Instant Pot heats up, trim the excess fat from the pork shoulder, and season generously with all of the spices.
- Brown the pork on all sides in the Instant Pot until a nice crust forms. This will take approximately two to three minutes per side. Do not crowd the pot, or the pork will steam rather than sear.
- Once all the pork is browned, add it all to the Instant Pot, and pour over the water, and juice from the oranges and lime.
- Place the top on your Instant Pot, and set to high pressure for 85 minutes.
- Once the pork has cooked, allow the pressure to decrease (or use the pressure release valve) and remove the pork to a plate or bowl. Shred with two forks and return to the cooking liquid. Toss to coat, and then serve or store as desired!