What is your most difficult meal of the day? Is it breakfast? Snacks? For us, it is both of these. We are often out of the house quickly in the morning, and bringing food for breakfast and that 2:30 drag is challenging. These gluten free protein muffins have changed that reality.
These are super simple to make and bake, and even freeze well for long term storage. If your muffins are frozen, you can reheat them in the oven, or a microwave before eating. A toaster oven would be an even more ideal option, if you have that at your work or home.
The best part of these protein muffins? They taste like a huge treat without having to set back your healthy lifestyle. Count us in for that anytime, anywhere.
Gluten Free Protein Muffins
This gluten free protein muffins recipe calls for berries to be mixed into the batter, but feel free to go a more indulgent route with chocolate chips, or to stir peanut butter/mixed nuts into the batter. The mix itself is a blank slate, so have fun playing around with it.
Also, the one ingredient you absolutely must use in this recipe is the casein protein. It has a different texture than whey protein (or plant) and it affects the bake a lot.
Gluten free protein muffins | ingredients
- 1 Package Gluten Free Muffin Mix (we used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 Servings Vanilla Casein Protein (any brand here is fine, see prior posts for how to pick protein supplement)
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 C Fresh Mixed Berries (Raspberries, strawberries, blueberries work well)
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 2 Cups Milk or Milk Substitute (we went with Almond Milk)
- 1/4 Cup Avocado Oil
Gluten free protein muffins | Steps
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, and line a muffin tin with cups.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients, including the protein powder, together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the wet ingredients until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just incorporated. Some lumps are fine so do not over mix the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean from the center of the muffin.