You just got back from vacation. Work hit you STRAIGHT in the face this week. It’s probably not as warm as where you were, and you also didn’t have time to really meal prep for the week ahead. In short, it’s been a long week. Banana walnut protein oatmeal is here to at least save your morning.
Normally with protein oatmeal options you will be using protein powder. However, we’ve gone for a completely whole foods based recipe with this one. Supplements have their role, and you can add protein powder to this if you’re looking to increase the protein in this recipe even more.
Banana Walnut Protein Oatmeal
The most important ingredient to include here is old fashioned oats. Quick cooking oats will turn out mushy, and steel cut oats will not be edible. When you make this oatmeal, BE SURE TO STICK TO OLD FASHIONED OATS. Your tastebuds will thank you.
banana walnut protein oatmeal | ingredients
- 2/3 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 medium Banana
- 1 Cup 0% or 2% Greek Yogurt
- Pinch of Salt + Dash of Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
Banana Walnut protein Oatmeal | Instructions
- In a 16 ounce Mason jar, or a medium-sized travel bowl, add the Greek yogurt, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Slice your banana into bite size pieces, and mix into the yogurt, along with the walnuts.
- Add half of the oatmeal, and stir into the mixture. Then add the rest of the oats to the top and leave them unmixed. This ensures that the oats maintain some texture regardless of how long you leave the oatmeal to sit. Before eating, stir the top oats into the mix.
You can store your oatmeal in the fridge for up to one week.